[GRASS-user] Fine-tuning d.vect.thematic and d.legend.vect [SOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 9 16:22:25 PST 2018

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Please consider to provide text snippets for the manual pages if your
> findings are relevant to others as well.

Markus,

   Two points related to ps.map and g.gui.psmap.

   1.) I could not make the desired changes in the maps produced by
d.vect.thematic or in the legend produced by d.legend so I saved the
d.legend output to a .csv file and edited that to remove the redundant first
row and remove the decimals from the ranges. I've nothing to suggest for
changes to the manual pages (other than some typo corrections, but they're
very minor.

   2.) Please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking that ps.map (and the gui
front end) work well if the maps are added using d.vect and d.rast, but not
if I'm trying to add a map using d.vect.thematic. I tried to add multiple
copies of the fish distribution map using d.vect, each with a species' name
and associated color, but the gui did not like the 'where select = "Bull
trout" regardless of the '=' sign or using single or double quotation marks.

   My previous experiences with g.gui.psmap and ps.map have been with a
background raster map and a few vector maps, but all maps having the same
symbol, color, and other attributes.

   I've looed at GMT but that looks like a better choice if one is doing maps
on a global scale not, for example, a 51 ha project site. I think that qgis
might be better for complex presentation preparation, but cannot build it on
this older machine so I'll try on the new desktop server/workstation this
coming weekend.

Best regards,

Rich

--
Richard Shepard, Ph.D.                    Have Knowledge - Will Travel
Applied Ecosystem Services, LLC  	       Troutdale, OR 97060 USA