[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS in Archaeology: how to get a cross section

Max Haibt maxion at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 12 12:28:15 PST 2018

Hi Lluis,

a real 3d GIS for Archaeology is not available at the Moment. You may try
to create some 3d Volumes in Grassgis but your students will hate it !

I have also been Looking for a solution to this (I am archaeologist
myself). But for now I stay with CloudCompare in 3d!!! Sadly CloudCompare
has no Attributetable connected to Features and Stylingoptions as you may
have enjoyed in Qgis. So unfold some section from your 3d meshes in CC and
Import them to qgis (working in a fake section where the y-axis becomes
the altitude…)
 where you can do classification Styling labeling etc.

I have been working like this for 5 years now in the German Archaeological
Institute, ist a pain in the ass sometimes, but the results are proper
phaseplans plan and section corresponding to each other. I hope we will
have a real powerful 3d GIS one-day...

All the Best

Max