[GRASS-user] Example project on GitLab: Access / discoverablity

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 19:20:14 PST 2018

He Peter,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 10:16 AM "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:

> thanks for setting up the r.example.plus example GitLab project. This is
> an interesting reference case.

Thanks!

> Is it already possible to integrate this code into a local GRASS
> installation via g.extension (
> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/g.extension.html) ?

Yes, it is, but only on Linux, macOS and other unix-like systems.

> Can you give recomendations what keywords/metadata should be attached to
> such external GRASS repos so users will find them ?

I think that's a challenge and that's one of the reasons, the official
GRASS GIS Addons repository is still the best option.

The search on GitLab as well as GitHub (and pretty much everywhere) does
not distinguish keywords from names or descriptions, so as long as "GRASS
GIS" and "module" is somewhere, it's good. However, this can also give a
lot of results which are not GRASS GIS modules. The ultimate test is of
course examining the content, e.g. the couple lines in the Makefile. Adding
"g.extension" as a keyword and/or expecting in a README file might be a
way, but still only approximate and it is an odd keyword to have.

Vaclav