[GRASS-user] satellite imagery for percentage paved, landscaped area

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Nov 25 23:54:30 PST 2018

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 2:48 PM Francois Chartier
<fra.chartier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is it possible with grass to estimate the percentage of landscaped area in a city/waterhed by using satellite imagery processing.
> if so, as a next step, is it also possible to differentiate between roads and and other impervious areas?

Hi,

we did something similar with aerial imagery which we presented at the
last FOSSGIS 2018 in March:

https://frab.fossgis-konferenz.de/system/event_attachments/attachments/000/000/249/original/HS4_10_fossgis2018_openNRW_neteler.pdf?1522144490

There will be other examples as well.

Quite interesting for you will be the Sentinel Copernicus data. There
is also a related "Copernicus Land Monitoring Service", High
Resolution Layer Imperviousness:
https://land.copernicus.eu/pan-european/high-resolution-layers/imperviousness

For its "Product Specifications", see
https://land.copernicus.eu/user-corner/technical-library/hrl-imperviousness-technical-document-prod-2015