[GRASS-user] Merging Raster Files in GRASS

Mehrdad Varedi varedi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 04:09:02 PDT 2018

Hi Everyone,
I have four DEM files to merge. their format is Tiff and I can merge them
easily in QGIS and create a virtual Raster file. I can't import that
virtual layer into GRASS and I don't know how can I do the same on GRASS
GIS. If I could merge them to one big raster file in any possible way, that
would be great.

None of the following has worked for me. (Maybe I am using them incorrectly
in some cases or probably that's my machine)

*r.buildvrt *in version (7.4.0 and 7.4.1)generated the following error:
            'r.buildvrt' is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file.
I have tried *r.patch *which doesn't generate any error, although the
created result is empty with no errors.

*r.out.gdal* and using the grouping option to group the layers and export
them to a new Tiff, although that had a similar output as r.patch.

A virtual raster file in QGIS was created using the 4 Tiff files and
importing to grass using r.import, didn't work and I got errors.

I don't want a fix for all of the above, I just wanted to share with you
what I have done so far. Would you please help to merge the 4 Tiff files
into one?

Thanks for your help,

Mehrdad

--