[GRASS-user] Interpreting flow accumulation map (r.flow)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 19 07:31:20 PDT 2018

   The example on the r.flow manual page shows flow lines, flow paths, and
flow accumulation. The latter two represent map units (in meters). I want to
confirm my understanding using the attached flow accumulation map. (The blue
lines are components of the river network draining this basin.)

   Do the legend numbers represent the number of cells or the area covered by
a cell? If the latter, the displayed raster map and the source topography
raster map with cell resolution of 20m x 20m, each cell area is 400m^2. So
the legend runs from 0m^2 to 457m^2 representing the upstream area draining
to each cell (point on the map). correct?

TIA,

Rich