[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] experimental Python 3 support in trunk

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:24:09 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 4:41 PM Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That means that trunk will continue to use python2 by default, and it also
> requires that the link python is installed, which will, if installed, refer
> to the same target as python2.
>
> If we want to get python3 support tested in trunk, we must make it clear
> to testers that python must refer to python3, contrary to PEP394, i.e. "the
> user deliberately overrides this".
>
> IMHO, we would get more feedback on python3 support if we change the
> shebang to python3 in trunk.

Makes sense, but I don't think we should do that right now. We already know
many things don't work with Python 3 at all - I'm thinking about all things
dependent on ctypes - so we would seriously reduced the functionality for
the people who are using trunk for real work (so far we always had people
doing it and supported that AFAICT). We are now getting some testing done
and in some time, when Python 3 support is more complete and/or we are not
getting enough testing, we can change the shebang.

So far it seems to be that the Python virtual env works and, alternatively,
changing PATH (perhaps together with creating a symlink) should work too.
Also those who needed to workaround that they distro has python -> python3
symlink don't need to do the workaround anymore. Finally, we could include
patch, or perhaps a sed/awk/python script, to change the shebangs in the
local copy of the code. Mac OS and MS Windows might be little different,
but the virtual env approach should be applicable everywhere.