[GRASS-user] v.category report cats

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Sep 12 05:57:59 PDT 2018

On 12/09/18 14:40, Johannes Radinger wrote:
> Hi all, I was wondering about the report output of 'v.category
> option=report'. This output contains a column for each layer that is
> called 'count'. Does this 'count' refer to the number of vector
> objects or the number of unique category numbers in that layer (I
> guess it is the first)? This might differ if two objects share the
> same category. I think both would be useful, however which one is
> provided here? Maybe this could be added to the manual, as one could
> assume that 'count' refers to categories numbers?!

The first examples in the man page do implicitely give the answer, i.e.
that it is feature count, not unique category numbers count. Actually,
you cannot get this latter information from v.category op=report. AFAIK,
you would have to do something like this (in *nix):

v.category YourMap op=print | sort -n | uniq | wc -l

But I agree that the count info is not clearly defined in the man page.
Please file a ticket for this, so we don't forget.

Moritz