[GRASS-user] Elevation above a river

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 12:46:09 PDT 2018

That is were the third step should follow, i.e. using r.mapcalc to identify
all the cells that are 1m higher than the grown river (irrespective in
which distance from the river these cells are located). The rasterized area
could then be translated into a vector format using r.to.vect.

Here a small example of how the working flow could be using the North
Caroline example dataset:
##############
# Set region
g.region raster=elevation at PERMANENT

# Extract elevation of the streams
r.mapcalc --o expression="streams_elevation = if( streams_derived at PERMANENT,
elevation at PERMANENT,null())"

# Grow stream_elevation map by a some hundred meters
r.grow -m --overwrite input=streams_elevation output=streams_elevation_grow
radius=500

# Calculate difference between original elevatoin and stream channel
elevation
r.mapcalc expression="stream_elevation_diff = elevation at PERMANENT -
streams_elevation_grow" --overwrite

# Extract areas that are than x meters higher than stream channel elevation
r.mapcalc expression="stream_elevation_diff_smaller1 = if(
stream_elevation_diff < 1,1,null())" --overwrite

# Maybe here it needs some cleaning of spurious cells etc. (using some kind
of neighbourhood filtering)

# Raster areas to a vector area (with smoothed corners; s-flag)
r.to.vect -s --overwrite input=stream_elevation_diff_smaller1
output=stream_elevation_diff_smaller1_area type=area

HTH
/Johannes