[GRASS-user] Identify duplicate points

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 04:13:41 PDT 2018

Hi all,

this is maybe a very easy question: But how is it possible to identify
duplicate points (that have the same pair of coordinates) of a set of
points. I'd like to get the categories of all non-single
(i.e.duplicate/triplicate etc.) points. I know that I could use the
'rmdupl' tool from v.clean to remove duplicate geometries but I'd rather
like to manually select the duplicate points I'd like to remove. Therefore,
I'd need to identify the points with similar geometries first. I thought of
using v.distance to get the all points that have 0 distance from another
point but the result is 0 for all points (due to the self-distance which is
0 of course). I could update the X,Y coordinates of each point and the use
a SQL command to identify points with similar coordinate pairs; however, is
there a more direct way or tool in GRASS to perform such a task?

cheers,

/Johannes