[GRASS-user] v.net manual describing 'arc_layer'

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 12:50:23 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 5:46 PM Johannes Radinger <
johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is probably a simple question, but it is unclear to me when reading
the manual of the tool v.net:
> The parameter 'arc_layer' (same holds true for 'arc_node') is described
as "Vector features can have category values in different layers. This
number determines which layer to use. When used with direct OGR access this
is the layer name." Here it is unclear if this refers to the layer of the
input or the output? So if I set 'arc_layer=2', does this mean that my arcs
are saved in the output network in layer 2, OR does this mean that v.net
uses layer 2 from the input vector to create arcs from?
> I have the feeling that the descriptions of 'arc_layer' and 'node_layer'
are default descriptions of the parameter 'layer' (e.g. see manual of
v.to.rast); IMHO this could be improved in the manual of v.net.

Looking at the code, it seems that v.net is not consistent in how the
options arc_layer and node_layer are handled, it depends on the selected
operation. For example, operation=connect copies arcs from input to output,
ignoring the arc_layer option, while categories of nodes are forced to
node_layer.

Please open a ticket that both the code and the manual of v.net need review
with respect to the options arc_layer and node_layer.

Markus M