[GRASS-user] v.generalize and where clause

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 15:35:59 PDT 2019

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:16 AM Micha Silver <tsvibar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/04/2019 0:42, Markus Metz wrote:
>

> > Am I missing something?
>
> Yes, the option layer defaults to -1 = all layers. If you use the cats or
where option, you need to specify a layer, otherwise the warning
> WARNING: No layer selected, 'where' and 'cats' options are ignored
>

> Ah ha
>
> Thanks,
>

> Maybe an extra sentence in the manpage would be appropriate?
>
> Under the "Description" section:
>

> "If type=area is selected, boundaries of selected areas will be
generalized, and the options cats, where, and layer will be used to select
areas. However the cats and where options are used only if a layer is
specified. If no layer is specified, those options are ignored."

The cats, where, and layer options apply to areas as well as lines.

Therefore I have added
"The *cats* and *where* options are used only if a *layer* > 0 is
specified, otherwise, those options are ignored. Be aware that the default
is *layer=-1*, meaning that all layers are processed, ignoring the *cats*
and *where* options."

to the manual in trunk and relbr76.

Markus M