[GRASS-user] Help; Running Grass from R without installing GRASS

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Apr 28 14:17:57 PDT 2019

Hi Mehrdad,

If this is a permission issue, and the dependencies (and a build environment) are installed, you could try compile GRASS (and install it in your home directory if necessary with the --prefix configure option).
svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/ grass_trunk
cd grass_trunk
./configure
make
make install
The make install step is not required for starting GRASS though. The make commando creates a bin…/ directory within the grass_trunk dir, where the grass startupscript is located…

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Stefan