[GRASS-user] Wrangling CityGML with GRASS ?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 05:45:50 PDT 2019

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> thanks for the link: That's also the latest information we found so far,
except for several OSGeo conference recordings (e.g.
https://doi.org/10.5446/40913 https://doi.org/10.5446/40694).

GML and GMLAS are supported by GDAL 2.2+. However, in order to import GMLAS
properly, some tricks are needed (interleaved reading for non-sequential
layers, see
https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/gmlas.html#performance-issues-with-large-multi-layer-gml-files)
which are built into GRASS 7.6+.

> My colleagues have ingested CityGML datasets into R, which caused issues
with the vector-topology for individual buildings.

That's not related to the data format, but to the content: 3D polygons.
These are not supported in GRASS, when importing you need to convert the
data to 2D with v.in.ogr -2, otherwise you get corrupt topology. Maybe this
is also needed for R.

Markus M

> Also, we have to cope with significant amounts of CityGML datasets, which
would require very large amounts of RAM, if the processing is done in R.
Since GRASS locations are storage-effective AND GRASS handles vector
topologies well, I had hoped that someone already explored this approach
further :-)

https://3d.bk.tudelft.nl/svitalis/citygml/gdal/2017/07/24/messing-around-with-citygml-on-gdal-2.2.html
> > There you can create subsets and the like...
> >
> > What are you planning to do with it, roughly?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Stefan

CityGML data sets using GRASS.