[GRASS-user] Wrangling CityGML with GRASS ?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 08:51:19 PDT 2019

Hi Peter,

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 3:56 PM "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Markus, all,
[...]
> For me, GDAL2.3.1 in GRASS refuses to accept the "GMLAS:"
from https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/gmlas.html: The driver requires
Xerces-C >= 3.1

You need to rebuild GDAL accordingly, but

> override for the import-driver:
>
> ogr2ogr -f GeoJSON SMALL.json GMLAS:SMALL.gml -oo
REMOVE_UNUSED_LAYERS=YES -oo REMOVE_UNUSED_FIELDS=YES -sql "SELECT * FROM
groundsurface"

apparently GMLAS is supported. What is the exact error message for "
GDAL2.3.1 in GRASS refuses to accept the "GMLAS:""?

Markus M

> --> if GDAL-4-GRASS is currently built without GMLAS-support, it would be
wortwhile to include it soonish (-> benefits:
https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/sites/default/files/presentations/gml_application_schema_made_easy_in_gdal_ogr_and_qgis_-_gmlas_driver_0.pdf)

> Otherwise, the standard GML-driver doesn't feature the REMOVE_xxx options:
> ogr2ogr -f GeoJSON SMALL.json SMALL.gml -oo REMOVE_UNUSED_LAYERS=YES -oo
REMOVE_UNUSED_FIELDS=YES -sql "SELECT * FROM groundsurface"

> Warning 6: driver GML does not support open option REMOVE_UNUSED_LAYERS
> Warning 6: driver GML does not support open option REMOVE_UNUSED_FIELDS
> ERROR 6: The GeoJSON driver does not overwrite existing files.
> ERROR 1: GeoJSON driver failed to create SMALL.json
>
> Best,
> peter
>

> <peter.loewe at gmx.de>
>

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 08. August 2019 um 15:15 Uhr
> Von: "Markus Metz" <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
> An: "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de>
> Cc: grass-user <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
> Betreff: Re: [GRASS-user] Wrangling CityGML with GRASS ?
>

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 2:59 PM "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Markus, Stefan, all,
> >
> > thanks for all your advice. New challenges have emerged, as the dataset
is defined as a polyhedral surface:

> > I upgraded to GRASS 7.6.1 which comes with GDAL 2.3.1.
> >
> > The data sources are official CityGML files provided by the German
Federal Agency for Cartographyand Geodesy (Bundesamt für Kartographie),
which have an ".xml"-extension.

> > v.in.ogr -2 -o --o input=TEST.xml output=TEST01
> > throws several warnings and creates an empty vector without an
points/lines in it:

> >  Warning 1: Unrecognized geometry type : 1015
 [<=== note this!]
> > No projection information available for layer <Building>
> > Übersteuere die Überprüfung der Projektion.
> > Check if OGR layer <Building> contains polygons...
> >  100%
> > WARNUNG: Vektorkarte <SMALL01> existiert bereits und wird überschrieben.
> > Creating attribute table for layer <Building>...
> > Importing 1 features (OGR layer <Building>)...
> > WARNUNG: Skipping unsupported geometry type 'POLYHEDRALSURFACE'
  [<=== note this!]

> v.in.ogr could force-convert these polyhedral surfaces to multipolygons,
at the risk of getting garbage.

> The required change to v.in.ogr would be small, but it would be safer to
skip these unsupported feature types in order to avoid garbage output.