[GRASS-user] wms google

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sat Aug 10 12:40:13 PDT 2019

Google maps are not available via WMS, I believe their tiles are only
available via their own proprietary API. I believe QGIS does it because
someone is using that API to make requests (via the QuickMaps Plugin) -
I suspect there's an API Key involved in there somewhere.

You can find OGC services including WMS and WMTS with GeoSeer
(https://www.geoseer.net), but you won't be able to add them to GRASS as
far as I can tell.

If you want raw satellite data without "downloading" you'd want WCS
anyway which I believe GRASS can handle
(https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WCS). GeoSeer can help you find those too.

Cheers,

Jonathan