[GRASS-user] question to the community: winGRASS - still a need for 32bit versions?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Wed Dec 11 13:11:50 PST 2019

Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote
> Hi GRASS community,
>
> as stated e.g. in:
>
> ################
> [GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.2
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2019-December/093846.html
> ##
> ne 8. 12. 2019 v 0:33 odesílatel napsal:
>> winGRASS 7.8.2RC2 64bit is available for testing in OSGeo4W 64bit when
>> the
>> experimental/testing tick is activated.
>
> also 32bit package available for testing and standalone installers [1].
>
> [1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/binary/mswindows/native/
> ################
>
> we're providing winGRASS in 32bit and 64bit versions (OSGeo4W and
> standalone).
>
> nowadays 64bit windows operating systems (e.g. win 10) are very common;
> most
> of the personal computer assembled after 2010 are 64bit systems. linux
> distributions start to phase out 32bit support. [1] [2] [3] [4]
>
> a question to our winGRASS community: is there still a need for 32bit
> versions of winGRASS?
>
> [1] https://itsfoss.com/end-of-32-bit-linux/
> [2]
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Drops-32-bit-x86
> [3]
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OpenMandriva-Dropping-32-Plans
> [4]
> https://www.pcworld.com/article/3089509/end-of-an-era-linux-distributions-will-soon-stop-supporting-32-bit-pcs.html

nobody claims a need for a 32bit winGRASS? really?

do we need winGRASS at all? ;-)

if no objections will pop up in the next days, I'll propose  to the GRASS
PSC (project steering commitee):

* phasing out winGRASS 32bit support by middle next year (2020 July 31)*

reasoning for this proposal:

- 64bit computer architecture and 64bit windows operating systems are very
common
- 32bit computer architecture and 32bit windows operating systems will find
their EOL

and the important reasons:

- reduce the high maintenance burden to keep 2 build environments of
winGRASS (32bit, 64bit) alive
- facilitate to find possible (automatic) alternatives of winGRASS build
environments beside the actual MSYS2/OSGeo4W workflow

comments are welcome :-)

-----
best regards
Helmut