[GRASS-user] Running GRASS with modules

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:50:44 PST 2019

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <
luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am using GRASS in an HPC platform where libraries are managed with
modules [0]. Recently I made GRASS 7.6 available as a shared module. This
involved copying the compiled folder to a shared location and then creating
a modulefile [1] (which essentially sets the correct PATH environment
variable). I am able to load the GRASS module and run it; however, when
other users try to do the same they get this error:

Are other users trying to work in your mapset? This is not allowed, a user
must be owner of the mapset. Users can read data from other mapsets owned
by other users, but the current mapset must be owned by the current user.

A new mapset can be created on startup with
grass76 -c /path/to/new_mapset

this will create the folder "new_mapset" and populate it with some basic
files neede to recognize this folder as a GRASS mapset. Now you can read
data from already existing mapsets in the same GRASS database and location.

HTH,

Markus M

> $ grass76
> Cleaning up temporary files...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/cm/shared/apps/WUR/ESG/modules/grass/bin/grass76", line 2209, in
<module>
>     main()
>   File "/cm/shared/apps/WUR/ESG/modules/grass/bin/grass76", line 2087, in
main
>     clean_temp()
>   File "/cm/shared/apps/WUR/ESG/modules/grass/bin/grass76", line 1784, in
clean_temp
>     call([gpath("etc", "clean_temp")], stdout=nul)
>   File "/cm/shared/apps/WUR/ESG/modules/grass/bin/grass76", line 247, in
call
>     return subprocess.call(cmd, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 524, in call
>     return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
>     errread, errwrite)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1327, in _execute_child
>     raise child_exception
> OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
>
> Naturally, GRASS is unable to access some asset it needs, the question is
what? All users have read and execute permissions on the shared module
folders and files. When it is launched, is GRASS trying to write somewhere?
Which other assets GRASS needs to read when it is launched?