[GRASS-user] Adding map to layer manager (wxpython GUI) from grass console?

Joe joe.on.list at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 07:32:43 PST 2019

Hi all,
I'm trying to follow a Grass tutorial in which it is described how to
use grass with --wxpython GUI: when grass is launched from linux
terminal, a Layer Manager and a Map Display appears along Grass
Console in my terminal. I noticed some grass commands run as expected
also if I input them from grass console. But if I want to add for
example a raster map to the layer manager I can't do it by textual
console: if I click on the GUI button "add raster map", it works and
the corresponding textual command appears at GUI status bar. I read:

d.rast map=basins at PERMANENT

The result is the "basins" map added in the layers list of the layer
manager GUI, ok. Now look what happens if I try to remove the map and
launch the command above "by hand", at the grass console:
GRASS 7.2.2 (gisdemo_ncspm):~ > d.rast map=basins at PERMANENT
ERROR: Neither MONITOR (managed by d.mon command) nor
       GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE (used for direct rendering) defined