[GRASS-user] r.texture input range

Moody, Alex Alex.Moody at idwr.idaho.gov
Thu Feb 28 08:01:24 PST 2019

I'm having my first go at classifying wetlands and want to produce some texture maps to help out. This is more of a general GIS question, but why is it necessary to use a raster with no more than 255 categories - per the r.texture manual? I realize that the model is based on the grey level co-occurrence matrix. I could see that basis being why there should only be 255 categories.

I've produced most of the first and second order statistics on a floating point map of NDWI (maybe this is heresy) and the outputs seem to make sense. Does r.texture bin the values before calculating the moving window statistic?

Thanks,
Alex