[GRASS-user] too many categories: buffer overflow

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 12:21:37 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 4:08 PM Micha Silver <tsvibar at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like you've run out of integer values for the "category" primary
key.

> Do you really want a vector polygon map with > 2 billion features?
>

> On 18/06/2019 15:14, Ken Mankoff wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I think I'm experiencing a buffer overflow. This is a hard one to search
for with GRASS GIS because the word "buffer" and "overflow" appear
throughout as in r.buffer and overflowing weirs, etc. but I'm referring to
the C-code error type of buffer oveflow:

> r.to.vect -v input=basins output=basins type=area
>
> DBMI-SQLite driver error:
> Error in sqlite3_step():
> UNIQUE constraint failed: basins.cat
>
> ERROR: Unable to insert into table: insert into basins values (
>        -2137121269, '(Category -2137121269)')

This is close to the 32 bit signed integer limit, but not yet there, the
lower limit for raster maps of type CELL is at  −2,147,483,648

The error "UNIQUE constraint failed: basins.cat" indicates that the given
category already exists. Another issue is that negative categories are not
allowed for vectors. Yet another issue is that basin numbers should be all
positive, indicating that integer overflow occurred when creating the
raster map basins, which is probably the root of this problem. What is the
range of values in the raster map basins (r.info -r basins) and how was it
created?

Markus M