[GRASS-user] Densify vertices in polygon

Wed Jun 19 07:26:23 PDT 2019

Dear Listers,

I would like to smooth polygons coming from a raster via r.to.vect using
v.generalize methods=snakes.

If I understood the documentation correctly, snakes is the only method
that tries to go the middle ground: neither entirely circumscribing
(larger than original polygon) nor inscribing (smaller than original
polygon) the polygon. I love that behavior. But snakes only works with
the available vertices and does not generate new vertices => quite rough
outlines.

So i thought it would be a good idea to densify the vertices of the
polygon before the generalization. Create new vertices with distance x
on the boundary of the polygon. But couldn't find a function in GRASS
doing that.

I would love any hints on generalization in general and on how to
densify my vertices.

Thanks
   robert