[GRASS-user] Detecting and carving culverts in LiDAR DEMs

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Tue May 7 23:59:47 PDT 2019

Dear all,

Since there is a lot of expertise on the ML in hydrology and LiDAR, I was wondering if someone is aware of a GRASS approach for identifying and carving Culverts (as well as removing bridges) in LiDAR DEMs.

Here some non-GRASS examples of what has been done earlier:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13658816.2018.1530353
https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/item/59971732e4b0b589267bbb22

I do have an idea of how to solve this in GRASS (also conceptually a bit different from the approaches above), with a rather simple / simplistic prove of concept based on geomorphometrics.
Yet, maybe someone around has a good procedure ready? Is there collaboration potential / interest?

Cheers
Stefan