[GRASS-user] turning sqlite journal off

Laura Poggio laura.poggio at gmail.com
Sun May 12 23:26:23 PDT 2019

Dear all,
we need to run a series of operations on a sqlite database. We noticed that
after each grass session close there is a journal file created. This can
take some time to be finished. Therefore it takes some time for the DB to
be ready for the next session.

We tried to turn off the journal mode directly on the sqlite file (being
aware of the potential risks):

sqlite3 $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/sqlite/sqlite.db
sqlite> PRAGMA journal_mode = OFF;

This worked as any commands run directly from sqlite3 do not create the
journal file anymore. However if the sqlite file is accessed by GRASS the
journal file is created again and we often experience locking problems,
with the following warning is often issued: WARNING: Busy SQLITE db,
already waiting for 10 seconds...

Is there a way to turn off the journal mode in SQLite for GRASS?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Laura