[GRASS-user] Create line perpendicular to other line at specific point

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 01:02:22 PST 2019

Hi all,
I've vector lines representing rivers and a set of points. Now, I'd like to
create short lines (e.g. 150 m) that are perpendicular to the river lines
and cross at the coordinates of the points vector. This is basically to
create transects similar to the tool v.transect. However v.transect creates
the perpendicular lines at regular intervals and I'd like to create them
only for the locations of the points on the river line. Is there any
straight forward tool to accomplish this? I could retrieve the azimuth of
the river lines at each point (using v.to.db), but how can I extrude a
point into a line with a given length and azimuth? Any suggestions?

cheers,
Johannes