[GRASS-user] Error launching GUI in Grass 7.8.1

Eric Patton eric.r.patton at protonmail.com
Wed Nov 13 06:41:32 PST 2019

Hi guys,

I upgraded my Grass version from 7.6.0 to 7.6.1 via the UbuntuGIS PPA in my package manager, and on launching the new version for the first time today, I get the following error:

grass -gui
Starting GRASS GIS...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gis_set.py", line 43, in <module>
    from startup.guiutils import SetSessionMapset, NewMapsetDialog
  File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/startup/guiutils.py", line 25, in <module>
    from gui_core.dialogs import TextEntryDialog
  File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/dialogs.py", line 50, in <module>
    from gui_core.gselect import LocationSelect, MapsetSelect, Select, \
  File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/gselect.py", line 64, in <module>
    from gui_core.widgets import ManageSettingsWidget, CoordinatesValidator
  File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/widgets.py", line 92, in <module>
    from gui_core.wrap import Button, SearchCtrl, StaticText, StaticBox, \
  File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/wrap.py", line 39, in <module>
    from wx import NewIdRef as NewId
ImportError: cannot import name 'NewIdRef'
ERROR: Error in GUI startup. See messages above (if any) and if necessary, please report this error to the GRASS developers.
On systems with package manager, make sure you have the right GUI package, probably named grass-gui, installed.
To run GRASS GIS in text mode use the --text flag.
Use '--help' for further options
     grass78 --help
See also: https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/helptext.html
Exiting...

I'm running it on Linux Mint 19.2, with gdal 2.4.2, proj 5.2.1, and wx libraries are 3.0.4. Running grass -text seems to be ok.

--
Eric Patton