[GRASS-user] Basin DEM advice needed

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 3 05:29:34 PDT 2019

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> The two maps are showing the same data. d.rast scales each raster to
> (min,max) of the colorbar, which is why the tiles appear misaligned. The
> data is unchanged.

Ken,

And because each individual tile has diffeent minimum and maximum elevations
they don't make a smooth surface while the patched map does. Now I
understand.

> I don't see how anyone can answer that without knowing the specifics of
> your project and goals.

To describe geomorphic characteristics of the basin and how they affect
channel hydraulics, sediment transport to the lower reaches, and fish
distributions, all to a non-technical audience of decision-makers.

> I'd patch than resample to avoid possible edge effects, if your resample
> isn't perfectly aligned with each sub-raster.

This is what I thought made more sense. Your confirmation is much
appreciated.

Regards,

Rich