[GRASS-user] v.kernel - Points weighted with attribute ?

Tais tgrippa at ulb.ac.be
Mon Oct 21 03:33:50 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I would like to compute a raster density map ("heat map") from vector
points using v.kernel. The points represent house addresses. However, I
would need to weight the points with a value stored in the attribute
table (number of inhabitants). I saw on the module manual page that this
functionality is a "known issue".

I imagined a solution to by-passe the limitation: duplicate each point
as many time as needed (according to the value stored in the attribute
table) and use this new layer directly in v.kernel. However, I think it
will definitely not be the most efficient way to do the trick. Do you
have an alternative in mind ?

Of course the best solution would be that someone in the development
community would have the time and the kindness to implement this
function directly in the module (I'm not skilled in C and thus cannot
try myself).

NB: Sorry if I should have posted this on the developer mailing list. I
hesitated but decided to post here finally.

Best,

--
Tais