[GRASS-user] tiling and 'cliping' DEMs

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 10 14:14:28 PDT 2019

I am downloading and importing 1m LiDAR DEMs for a 667 mi^2 (1727.5 km^2)
drainage basin. These are all in 7.5' topographic quad sections. The files
take up a lot of disk space and memory when working with them.

I assume that by careful setting of the region I can display the individual
maps as a single map, and I can set a computational mask using the vector
basin watershed (boundary). Is there way to 'clip' the DEM using the
watershed map in the way that v.clip works with two vector maps? While the
workstation has 32G RAM and 2T of disk space I would like to limit the DEM
to the drainage basin itself and exclude all areas outside it.

Looking at all the r.* modules in core and extensions none strikes me as the
appropriate tool.

I'm open to advice on working with huge raster files.

Regards,

Rich