[GRASS-user] Clarifying use of postgres/postgis

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 14 07:41:35 PDT 2020

I'm starting a large project and want all data (geometric and attributes) to
be stored in a new postgres database I just created: washington_state. Both
postgresql-12.2 and postgis-3.0.1 are installed.

All my previous work has used the default GRASS database so I've read the
manual page, PostgreSQL DATABASE DRIVER, and I'm still unsure how to
proceed. I'm the only postgres user so I access all my databases without
entering a username or password.

When I start a grass session, create a new location, and mapset then want to
import .shp or .gdb files how do I specify using the postgres/postgis
database I just created? When do I use PostGIS with shp2pgsql?

Since I've used the db.* modules before I'm familiar with them. What I need
to learn is how to expand my grass experiences to using post* as the
databases rather than the defaults.

A pointer to other docs would be great.

Regards,

Rich