[GRASS-user] Clarifying use of postgres/postgis

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Aug 16 13:36:18 PDT 2020

Hi Dheeraj,

GRASS uses a special topological vector format, that – as Micha pointed out – requires for most operations that data are stored in native GRASS format and not PostGIS.
However, for points for example external vector data (e.g. in PostGIS) can be used in GRASS in those modules directly that support topology level 1. Here one would use v.external to link PostGIS data to GRASS.

g.search.modules keyword=level1
gives you a list of those modules.

A typical use case for such a setup (vector in PostGIS, raster in GRASS) I am familiar with are GPS tracking data in PostGIS that are matched with GRASS GIS raster data…

If you use PostGIS as the database backend in GRASS (instead of default sqlite), then you would have almost the setup you are looking for, just that GRASS does not add geometry columns but stores the geometry in the GRASS DB (and attributes in PG).

Cheers
Stefan