[GRASS-user] Installation Issues on CentOS8

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 16 13:26:15 PST 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 6:05 PM mdwxman <mdwxman at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Markus.  I’m glad I stuck with GRASS long enough to find a solution.  I’m very fortunate to discover this user group, too.  As I looked through the archive for the last two years I found lots of interesting and helpful messages.

Great, and yes, the GRASS GIS mailing lists a very useful resource
(btw: started in 1991!).

How can we advertise them better?

> One additional and brief question: in attempting to debug the script I’m curious regarding any software suggestions you might have for that task.  Of course, experience & knowledge play a crucial role but any debugging software might be helpful.  Any suggestions?

You can find a collection of debugging suggestions here:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Debugging

Here your other question:

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 6:10 PM mdwxman <mdwxman at protonmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed the issues with both the GDAL and PROJ packages.  I’ve noticed that it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to find necessary packages on several Fedora repos.

I suppose you refer to the Centos repos? That I also found annoying.
So much that I reformatted our server :p, switching to a different
distro.

However, the Fedora (not the same thing!) geo-related repos are
sufficiently well maintained.

> It makes things difficult and frustrating to install packages when even Conda can’t find necessary libraries.

Yes. Feel free to contact me personally if you still lack packages on
Centos, maybe I have an idea.

Cheers
Markus

--