[GRASS-user] Umm...OK, How do I start this thing?

mdwxman mdwxman at protonmail.com
Sun Dec 27 21:12:26 PST 2020

Very strange things happening here and I don't understand.

1.  I ran make install in the src directory and it finished without error.  grass78 is in /usr/local/bin as it should be.  But running grass78 from this directory produces this output:

(base) [root at godelsrevenge ~]# /usr/local/bin/grass78 --gui
Starting GRASS GIS...
ERROR: wxGUI requires wxPython. No module named 'wx'
You can still use GRASS GIS modules in the command line or in Python.
ERROR: Error in GUI startup. See messages above (if any) and if necessary, please report this error to the GRASS developers.
On systems with package manager, make sure you have the right GUI package, probably named grass-gui, installed.
To run GRASS GIS in text mode use the --text flag.
Use '--help' for further options
     grass78 --help
See also: https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/helptext.html
Exiting...
(base) [root at godelsrevenge ~]#

Checking for wxPython produces this:

(base) [root at godelsrevenge ~]# find / -name wxPython
find: File system loop detected; ‘/run/media/root/fedora_fedora5/root’ is part of the same file system loop as ‘/’.
find: File system loop detected; ‘/run/media/root/fedora_fedora4/root’ is part of the same file system loop as ‘/’.
find: File system loop detected; ‘/run/media/root/fedora_fedora3/root’ is part of the same file system loop as ‘/’.
find: File system loop detected; ‘/run/media/root/fedora_fedora2/root’ is part of the same file system loop as ‘/’.
find: File system loop detected; ‘/run/media/root/fedora_fedora1/root’ is part of the same file system loop as ‘/’.
find: File system loop detected; ‘/run/media/root/fedora_fedora/root’ is part of the same file system loop as ‘/’.
/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/wx/include/wxPython

The source file for grass-7.8.5 is at : /grass-7.8.5 NOT /root/grass-7.8.5.

Next I checked echo $PATH and received this message:

(base) [root at godelsrevenge ~]# echo $PATH
/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/wx/include:/root/anaconda3/bin:/root/anaconda3/condabin:/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/wx/include:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
(base) [root at godelsrevenge ~]#

but here's my .bashrc file:

# .bashrc

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
	. /etc/bashrc
fi

# User specific environment

# Uncomment the following line if you don't like systemctl's auto-paging feature:
# export SYSTEMD_PAGER=

# User specific aliases and functions

alias rm='rm -i'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias mv='mv -i'

# >>> Export for wxPython >>>
export PATH="/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/wx/include:$PATH"

# >>> conda initialize >>>
# !! Contents within this block are managed by 'conda init' !!
__conda_setup="$('/root/anaconda3/bin/conda' 'shell.bash' 'hook' 2> /dev/null)"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    eval "$__conda_setup"
else
    if [ -f "/root/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh" ]; then
        . "/root/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"
    else
        export PATH="/root/anaconda3/bin:$PATH"
    fi
fi
unset __conda_setup
# <<< conda initialize <<<

So what is the origin of that long line of PATH directories when they don't appear in the .bashrc file?  (I checked to make sure I was running bash).

And if /usr/local/bin contains grass78 and wxPython is located in /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/wx/includes then why is grass78 missing the wxPython file?

And I also checked using find / -name grass-gui and came up with nothing, that is grass-gui is missing.

I hope I've included enough detail to help with this.

Michael Allen
Industrial Weather
763-777-1263

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.