[GRASS-user] ESRI formats: gdb and shp

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 10:39:59 PST 2020

Rich,

This is an old PDF (2009) but it lists some advantages of file geodatabase.
https://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0309/files/9reasons.pdf

Another thing worth mentioning is that in order to do topological analysis
in ESRIs world, you would need to use geodatabases since shapefiles does
not carry topology information.

But you mentioned that you are dealing with point data. I never heard of
using topology with point data. So you are probably fine importing from
either one (shape or gdb)
Also, don't know it the topology part of a GDB file is recognized by
OGR/grass. I believe Grass generates the topology once it's imports vector
data, be it from shapefile or GDB.

Now, if the attribute table has long column names, accents and things like
that, it's probably correct in the GDB. Remember that shapefiles use DBF
for attribute table...

Disclaimer: I havenĀ“t used an ESRI product in a long time. So the
information in here could be outdated

Cheers
Daniel