[GRASS-user] NASADEM: new global 1 arcsec DEM

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Feb 24 07:28:41 PST 2020

Hi Markus,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:36 PM Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> NASA via lpdaac has released a new global DEM with 1 arcsec spatial resolution:
> https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/news/release-nasadem-data-products/
>
> "NASADEM extends the legacy of the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) by improving the digital elevation model (DEM) height accuracy and data coverage as well as providing additional SRTM radar-related data products. The improvements were achieved by reprocessing the original SRTM radar signal data and telemetry data with updated algorithms and auxiliary data not available at the time of the original SRTM processing."
>
> All layers of the NASADEM_HGT.001 product can be imported into GRASS with the addon r.in.nasadem:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-addons/tree/master/grass7/raster/r.in.nasadem
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Markus M
>
> https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/products/nasadem_hgtv001/

Great work, I could smoothly download and generate an Ecuador NASADEM mosaik.

For fun I made a small animation, comparing SRTM with the new NASADEM
in southern Ecuador:
https://twitter.com/MundialisInfo/status/1231951793661370375

The new gap-filling shows much more detail.

Best,
markusN