[GRASS-user] 37 years of GRASS GIS: celebrating with a new GRASS GIS website!

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Jul 29 07:03:39 PDT 2020

 Wednesday, July 29, 2020

[image: The new GRASS GIS website]
The new GRASS GIS website is out!

In occasion of its *37th birthday the GRASS GIS project* is proud to
present its *new website* <https://grass.osgeo.org>! The site has been
redesigned with modern tools to be responsive and also easier to maintain.
Content is more discoverable now and easy to browse too.
What’s cool

   - The *Learn* <https://grass.osgeo.org/learn> page offers a curated list
   of tutorials in different languages and links to videos. The new Try
   online <https://grass.osgeo.org/learn/tryonline> section provides links
   to Binder and rollApp online applications that allow testing GRASS GIS
   without installing it.
   - Our long standing and *rich history*
   <https://grass.osgeo.org/about/history> in the GIS and open source world
   is now presented in a much more attractive layout. Have a look at the
   timeline of *releases* <https://grass.osgeo.org/about/history/releases>
   and *websites* <https://grass.osgeo.org/about/history/web-evolution>!
   - The revamped *gallery of screenshots*
   <https://grass.osgeo.org/learn/gallery> shows some of GRASS GIS
   capabilities through visual examples.
   - Project resources easily reachable: mailing lists, wiki, RSS news
   feed, the various GitHub and docker repositories.

The technology

We chose a static format based on HUGO <https://gohugo.io/> and all the
code and content is hosted in a dedicated repo
<https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-website> in GitHub. *Nicolas Bozon*
<http://cartogenic.com/> designed the website theme and many others helped
with content curation and creation. In detail, the page content is now
written in markdown. Several times a day the website is automatically
deployed from the GitHub repository to our internet server at
https://grass.osgeo.org/ .
What’s next

With this new web technology and the availability of the code and content
in a public repository, we want to *encourage and simplify community
members’ participation*. If you want your GRASS GIS use cases, blog posts
and cool screenshots to be part of if, you only need to create a pull
request. No fear, we have a manual for contributions
<https://grass.osgeo.org/about/theme/>.

We thank all the contributors for their input and help to see this project
finally realized! Special thanks to OSGeo <https://www.osgeo.org/> as well
as individuals <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Sponsors> for their
financial support.

Stay tuned, there’s more yet to come!