[GRASS-user] r.soils.texture question

Gianluca Massei agr.gianluca.massei at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 13:27:06 PDT 2020

*.dat files are derived from  TALCPP (
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1081/CSS-120017410). The values
describe polygons coordinates for different class inside the texture
triangle. In r.soils.texture is implemented an algorithm to check if a
single point is inside or outside a texture polygon. If the point is
inside it is labeled with the correspondent texture code and used to build
a texture map.
By

Il giorno ven 12 giu 2020 alle ore 08:10 Laura Poggio <
laura.poggio at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Dear all,
> I am looking at the DAT file
> <https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass7/raster/r.soils.texture/scheme/USDA.dat>
> for USDA soil texture classification for the r.soil.texture addon.
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) the class silt-loam appears twice (number 8 and 12). Is this
> intentional and needed for the calculations?
>
> 2) Could you please explain the structure of the DAT file? As example
> 1
> 6
> 0 0 20 45 45 0
> 100 60 40 40 55 100
>
> First line: I think is the class value as written in the pixel.
> Second line: not sure
> Following two lines: I think they are somehow the limits of sand, silt and
> clay. However I can not really understand in which order.
>
> Thank you very much in advance
> Laura

Dott. Gianluca Massei, PhD