[GRASS-user] Import Shape Files

Martin Bittens martin.bittens at gmx.de
Wed Jun 24 06:04:00 PDT 2020

Hello,

I am trying to import shape-files from QGIS 3.12.3 to GRASS GIS 7.8.3).
CRS  QGIS: EPSG 31983; CRS GRASS: EPSG 31983. EPSG 31983 is: SIRGAS
2000/UTM zone 23S.

The import is working fine, the projection fits but when I check the
meta data of the imported files I receive the message "Projection: UTM
(zone invalid)". In order to narrow down that error I did the following
in GRASS:

1.) I created 2 fresh locations/map sets: Loc1/Wells and Loc2/Wells
using the same CRS (EPSG 31983);

2.) I did the import of a shape file from QGIS (EPSG 31983) to GRASS
Loc1/Wells;

3.) Checking the meta data of the imported file results in "Projection:
UTM (zone invalid)";

4.) I changed the location/map set from Loc1/Wells to Loc2/Wells;

5.) In Loc2/Wells I "transferred" the imported shape file from
Loc1/Wells to Loc2/Wells using the command "v.proj";

6.) Checking the meta data now the message shows the correct projection
"Projection: UTM (zone 23)".

Are there any ideas why the shape file import in step 3 results in the
error message "Projection: UTM (zone invalid)"?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Martin