[GRASS-user] Merge spatially connected features

Micha Silver tsvibar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 07:21:57 PST 2020

On 3/5/20 10:47 AM, Johannes Radinger wrote:

> Hi Micha, hi all,
>
> sorry for my late response...however, just today I managed to try your
> approach of building polylines to connect "touching stream lines"...but...
>
> On 24.02.20 16:48, Micha Silver wrote:
>>
>> On 24/02/2020 10:45, Johannes Radinger wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have a large river network dataset (lines). Now I'd to assign
>>> unique categories to each group of connected lines that have an
>>> attribute in common.
>>>
>>> For example, my rivers are categorized based on some kind of stream
>>> order. I want to group all rivers that belong to stream order 2 and
>>> are spatially connected; each group should get a unique category
>>> value. I thought that I could first extract all rivers with a
>>> particular attribute (e.g. stream order = 2) which will provide me
>>> some scattered pattern of lines. Then I need a spatial join tool to
>>> make subgroups of lines that are connected. How can I achieve the
>>> latter? Any idea?
>>

>> Here's a procedure that might work for you. Somewhat clunky, but I
>> think it gets what you want.
>>
>> It's based on the v.build.polylines module to connect all touching
>> stream reaches. First extract each order from the stream vector into
>> a new vector. Then build polylines. Patch them all together. Now you
>> have a polyline vector with a single cat value for each set of
>> original stream reaches that had the same order and that were touching.
>
> Unfortunately, the v.build.polylines tool does not work as it only
> does not connect multiple (intersecting) lines like in a river
> network. As an example I tried to build polylines from the stream
> network of the NC dataset. Yous suggested approach should result that
> each sub-network (i.e. river network that is not connected to another
> one) should get its own ID/cat...however, v.build.polylines results in
> a connected stream network that consists of multiple cats:

Maybe I misunderstood your question. The steps I tried use a
stream_order column to group stream segments, then apply a new attribute
"merged_id" to those stream orders that touch. i.e. that connect to the
same confluence point.

Here's what I get using the nc_basic_spm mapset:

r.watershed elev=elevation accum=nc_facc drain=nc_fdir bas=nc_bas
stream=nc_str thresh=1000
r.stream.order stream_rast=nc_str direct=nc_fdir elev=elevation
accum=nc_facc stream_vect=nc_streams
ORDERS=`v.db.select -c nc_streams group=strahler column=strahler`
echo $ORDERS

# Create a new stream vector for each stream order

for o in $ORDERS; do

     v.extract input=nc_streams output=streams_${o} where="strahler=${o}"

     # Give each polyline it's own cat value

     v.build.polylines input=streams_${o} output=streams_${o}_polyline
type=line cat=first

done

# patch the stream orders back together

POLYLINES=`g.list vect pattern="streams*polyline" separator=comma`

v.patch input=$POLYLINES output=streams_polylines

v.db.addcolumn map=streams column="merged_id INTEGER"

# And use v.distance to update that merged_id column from cat values in
polylines vector
v.distance from=streams to=streams_polylines upload=cat column=merged_id
v.db.addcolumn map=nc_streams column="merged_id INTEGER"
v.distance from=nc_streams to=streams_polylines upload=cat column=merged_id

Now, all stream reaches that have the same order and are "touching" have
the same merged_id. See the attached image.

If that's not your purpose, then just ignore...