[GRASS-user] Calling all imagery (especially i.maxlik and i.smap) users

Sajid Pareeth spareeth at gmail.com
Wed May 6 09:06:23 PDT 2020

Hi Maris

Thank you for bringing this topic.

#2 Should i.maxlik add its output to the group?

Current implementation of i.maxlik adds classification result to the
> input group [2]. This prevents use of i.maxlik with imagery group from
> other mapset. I would vote to remove such feature. If you have a use
> case where such functionality is needed, speak now, or forever hold
> your peace.

In my experience, having the outputs stored in the group/subgroup is not
useful and we should remove this behavior. Don't see any particular
advantage of this.

> #3 Should signature files be handled similarly to raster colors?
> i.cluster, i.gensig and i.gensigset write signature files to imagery
> subrgoup. This is not possible if group is located in other mapset. My
> proposal — handle signatures as raster colours — signatures are always
> saved in current mapset. Thus signatures created for a group in other
> mapset would be not visible in other mapsets.

IMHO we should be able to list the signatures and should also be able to
use outside the group. There are cases where we want to use the same
signature with a different imagery group same spectral combination but from
a different date for example.
In this context want to point out these addons by Luca Delucchi, to move,
list the signatures.
i.signature.copy
<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/addons/i.signature.copy.html>:
Copies signature file from a group/subgroup to another group/subgroup.
i.signature.list
<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/addons/i.signature.list.html>:
Lists signature file of a group/subgroup.
i.signature.remove
<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/addons/i.signature.list.html>:
Removes signature file in a group/subgroup.
It would be nice if we can export/save (resue)  the signature (for example
.sig file) outside grass mapset like the color files.

best
Sajid