[GRASS-user] Estimating import time for large data file

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 28 08:25:30 PDT 2020

I'm trying to import (using v.in.ogr) a rather large file (1.22G *.shp and
4.5M *.dbf). I see a lot of system disk reads, low cpu usage, but after a
half-hour it appears to have stopped processing.

I'm running Slackware-14.2/x86_64 on a desktop with an AMD Ryzen7 2700 CPU
(8 cores/16 threads) and 32G DDR4 memory. GRASS-7.9.dev is configured to
enable largefile and use openmp.

1. Can I do more to facilitate import of this large, statewide wetlands
data set?

2. Is there a way to estimate the time import would take? If so, I'll start
it using screen and let it run in the background, overnight if necessary.

3. Is there a realtime progress monitor that informs me grass is chewing on
the import or stuck somewhere?

The GUI layer manager shows the map needs cleaning for many (most? all?)
polygons when it eventually is imported, but that's to be addressed later.

Regards,

Rich