[GRASS-user] v.what.rast - solved

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri May 29 02:06:18 PDT 2020

On 29/05/20 10:09, Micha Silver wrote:

> On 29/05/2020 9:42, Uwe Fischer wrote:
>>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> thanks to Micha Silver and Helmut Kudrnovsky, the problem ist solved.
>> I did not set g.region prior to using v.what.rast. Seems to be a
>> typical non-Grass-Professional mistake. Now it works fine.
>>
>> But to be honest, I do not really understand what it is good for. When
>> the raster image and the points to be updated share the same Grass
>> location and CRS, why do I have to set a region in addition?
>>

> Glad you got it worked out.
>
> The only thing I would add to Stefan's explanation is a pointer to the
> GRASS wiki on region settings:
>
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Computational_region

Although I am a huge fan and promotor of the computational region
concept, I actually agree with Uwe that it is debatable whether in the
specific cas of v.what.rast this should be the default behavior. It is a
bit counter-intuitive. In any case, it should be clearly and explicitly
documented in the man page.

Uwe, would you mind posting an issue on this in github [1] ?

Moritz

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues