[GRASS-user] Reprojecting to x,y grid

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 10:06:13 PST 2020

Hi GRASS list,

I have a data set provided on an (x,y) grid, where each coordinate does have a paired (lon,lat). I'd like to work on the native (x,y) grid, and bring some other geo-referenced data there. How do I do this?

I've successfully worked in rotated pole coordinates (e.g., [1]) but because I don't know what (x,y) coord contains the pole, I haven't figured out how to adapt this to the rotated pole situation as in [1]. Anyway, this isn't a rotated pole...

The coordinates for the data look like this:

# x, y, lon, lat
1,1,-46.930,59.105
2,1,-46.843,59.127
3,1,-46.757,59.148
4,1,-46.670,59.169
5,1,-46.584,59.191
6,1,-46.497,59.212
7,1,-46.410,59.233
293,441,-10.886,84.128
294,441,-10.415,84.120
295,441,-9.944,84.112
296,441,-9.476,84.104
297,441,-9.008,84.095
298,441,-8.542,84.086
299,441,-8.077,84.076
300,441,-7.614,84.066

Meaning there are 300 columns and 441 rows, each with a (lon,lat).

I can easily import this into any projection I want with m.proj, but I'd like to work in this XY coord:

grass -c XY ./G
g.region s=0 n=441 w=0 e=300 res=1 -pas

The problem is I have one other vector file (in EPSG:4326 or EPSG:3413) that I need to use with this grid-coordinate data. How do I reproject or import that?

Thanks,

  -k.

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2011-October/062180.html