[GRASS-user] compiling grass-7.8.5 on conda environment

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 06:31:50 PDT 2021

Hi Laura,

See whether the following is helpful to you. It uses everything from conda
and has some local fixes for iconv. I didn't test 7.8.5 specifically, only
the 7.8 release branch.

GRASS GIS on HPC Henry2
https://github.com/ncsu-geoforall-lab/grass-gis-on-hpc-henry2/

Some more comments:

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM Laura Poggio <laura.poggio at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to compile grass 7.8.5 in a conda environment (on centos7,
> managed HPC) adapting this instructions here
> <https://github.com/GRASS-GIS/grass-gis-experimental-ci/blob/conda-compile/configure.sh>
> .

Nobody touched that repo for a while, but development happened elsewhere.
We have a CentOS 7 build partially using conda in the main repo's CI.
However, my experience was that the CentOS 7 Docker container in CI was
very different from the CentOS 7 environment on HPC which has many
customizations.

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/.github/workflows/centos.yml

There is also a conda-based build for macOS, but that would need to be
adapted

> conda create -y -n $conda_env python=3.8.5
> conda activate $conda_env
> conda install -c conda-forge geos gdal==3.3.1 -y
> conda install -c conda-forge pdal fftw -y
> conda install -c biobuilds libxml2
> conda install -c conda-forge libiconv

The GRASS GIS on Henry 2 repo has an environment file you can use.

> compile works well. make gives a lot of errors. When I run make again in
> one of the folder, I get this errors:
> /home/user/grasspy3/grass-7.8.5/dist.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/
> libgrass_gis.7.8.so: undefined reference to `libiconv'
> /home/user/grasspy3/grass-7.8.5/dist.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/
> libgrass_gis.7.8.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
> /home/user/grasspy3/grass-7.8.5/dist.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/
> libgrass_gis.7.8.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_close'

I was not able to create a proper fix for GRASS GIS configuration, but the
repo has a somewhat hacky patch applied locally which injects libiconv into
more places.

Let me know how this goes. With the scripts in GRASS GIS on Henry 2, I can
install new versions easily, but I would like to see it more streamlined
with less local customizations.

Best,
Vaclav