[GRASS-user] error when importing soil grids data into GRASS

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:31:09 PST 2021

Hi Markus,

thanks for your answer :)

El mar., 7 dic. 2021 14:43, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> escribió:

> Hi Vero,
>
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 6:12 PM Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm trying to import soil grids data for south america into grass gis by
> means of r.import and the vsicurl driver and I'm facing different errors
> according to the soilgrid version I use. See below:
> >
> > Fist attempt:
> >
> > gdalinfo /vsicurl/
> https://files.isric.org/soilgrids/latest/data/ocd/ocd_0-5cm_mean.vrt
> > Driver: VRT/Virtual Raster
> > Files: /vsicurl/
> https://files.isric.org/soilgrids/latest/data/ocd/ocd_0-5cm_mean.vrt
> >        /vsicurl/
> https://files.isric.org/soilgrids/latest/data/ocd/ocd_0-5cm_mean.vrt.ovr
> >        /vsicurl/
> https://files.isric.org/soilgrids/latest/data/ocd/./ocd_0-5cm_mean/tileSG-018-027/tileSG-018-027_2-4.tif
> >        /vsicurl/
> https://files.isric.org/soilgrids/latest/data/ocd/./ocd_0-5cm_mean/tileSG-018-027/tileSG-018-027_1-1.tif
> > Size is 159246, 58034
> > Coordinate System is:
> > PROJCRS["Interrupted_Goode_Homolosine",
>
> This is the problem.

Any idea why it's not recognized? I see it is in PROJ and as you show
gdalwarp works. Is it something GRASS related?

Here my workaround:

> ### ocd
> # PROJCRS["Interrupted_Goode_Homolosine" ... :-(
> # requires a trick - r.import still fails
> eval `g.region -g`
> gdalwarp -t_srs epsg:4326 -te $w $s $e $n ocd/ocd_0-5cm_mean.vrt
> ocd_0_5cm_mean_epsg4326.tif -co COMPRESS=LZW

Anyway replacing ocd/ocd_0-5cm_mean.vrt by /vsicurl/
https://files.isric.org/soilgrids/latest/data/ocd/ocd_0-5cm_mean.vrt in
your workaround does the trick, takes a while, but does it. Thanks a LOT
for the hint!!

@Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch> would it be possible
to provide the version 2.0 with the projection defined? Or additionally in
the easy to use epsg 4326 as an alternative for lazy people like me? :)

Vero