[GRASS-user] how to derive polygons from text strings

Uwe Fischer gisfisch at t-online.de
Sat Dec 18 08:40:25 PST 2021

Hello list,

I have a point feature layer with attributes for a text string (call it 'label') and the fontsize in map units (which are meters in my case). Is there a way in Grass to derive polygons from this input information which enclose the label strings  when those are used to label the points? For those who know ArcMap: what I mean is exactly what happens when you save Annotations as Shapes in ArcCatalog: you get a polygon layer in which each text string has a polygon hull which fits the height and width, respectively.

best regards,

Uwe