[GRASS-user] how to derive polygons from text strings

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 01:38:59 PST 2021

pirmd., 2021. g. 20. dec., plkst. 11:29 — lietotājs Uwe Fischer
(<gisfisch at t-online.de>) rakstīja:

> Hello Māris,
>
> thanks a lot. That is hard tobacco for a user like me. What do you mean 'ask the same rendering engine'?

This depends on how you are planning to use those frames around text.
If as a background for a text, it might not fit well as the exact
width and height of text will depend on the rendering engine used to
draw text. Frames around text in ArcGIS work only as long as text
itself is rendered by ArcGIS. Try to draw text in frames made by
ArcGIS with QGIS and most likely you will not see a perfect fit even
if the same font is in use.

> Is there a chance to get such boxes for a normal user or is it a case for a c++ programmer?

You can always go back to scripting. If selected font is monospace,
calculations are easy, if not monospace, it will be hard to get it
right. Thus digging into C code seems to be the best bet.

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
> UWE FISCHER

Māris.