[GRASS-user] Using Python in GRASS GIS for analysis

Micha Silver tsvibar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:30:07 PST 2021

Hello

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 8:51 AM Omkar Kadlag <kadlagomkar119 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Sir/Ma'am,
>
> Warm Greetings.
>

> Then I made a new environment in the anaconda prompt, where I installed
> 'wxpython' and was successfully able to run GRASS GIS software, but now the
> issue is I can't use the command prompt for my analysis. Then I tried to
> give inputs in the anaconda command prompt but was still unable to get
> correct outputs.

First I think you are mixing up running GRASS commands in python, versus
the  command prompt.
You do not necessarily need python (nor Anaconda) to run GRASS.  Everything
can be done from the command prompt or using the GRASS GUI. Furthermore,
it's a good idea, in my opinion, to begin learning the GRASS modules by
running commands at the command prompt, then once you have the details
worked out, shift to writing python scripts.

> C:\Program Files>r.in.gdal -e
> input="D:\NRSC\Month_Jan\ASTGTMV003_N19E073-dem" output=DEM
> ERROR: Unable to open datasource <D:\NRSC\Month_Jan\ASTGTMV003_N19E073-dem>
> C:\Program Files>

Here, clearly you did not specify the full file name to the ASTER DEM file.
Probably the ".TIF" extension is missing? Can you check and enter the full
file name, then get back to the list if you encounter any more problems.

I want solutions where I can run GRASS GIS directly from the command line
> and implement my solutions on that.
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> Omkar.

Micha Silver