[GRASS-user] raster reclassification or map calculator to simulate past sea-level change

Erik Victor Lundstrøm Victor.Lundstrom at uib.no
Tue Feb 9 23:31:32 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

I've done some google searches related to my problem. Granted, by no
means exhaustive, but unsuccessful nonetheless.
Thus, I hereby by contribute with my first post in the email group
hoping to find some help.

I work in coastal Norway, and I'd like to produce different rasters
based on estimates for when the sea-level was either higher, or lower,
than today.
When I started doing this years ago, it was simply enough for me to use
the raster calculator and then produce binary maps using the "<=" or
">=" expression as I only wanted to visualise the difference.
However, today I'd like to continue to work with the rasters where the
values on the other side of the threshold that I assign remain intact
but
I find it way too tedious having to 1) produce a binary map, 2) convert
the cells denoting the sea-level change into vector polygons, and then
3) clipping the old raster into a new one.

I'll try and use an example for what I'd like to try and achieve
instead.

Let's say I have an elevation raster with values ranging from -0.001 to
1500m. Now, if I'd be interested in producing a raster where anything
below 25m is submerged, then the method that I alluded
to above would produce the following raster = 0 & 1

What I'm interested in doing now instead, is to find some method where I
still reset anything below 25m as "0", but where I still have all the
remaining values intact.

I'm thinking that there should be a way, either through the raster
calculator or the reclassify tool, where I could simply reset anything
above or below a certain threshold as either "0", or perhaps even "no
data" but at the same time keep all the other elevation values of the
raster intact.

This message should hopefully be enough to indicate that I have
relatively poor experience with both the reclassify or mapcalc-tool and
thus any
brief guide on how I could solve my problem would be greatly
appreciated!

If anything is unclear just let me know and I can try to reformulate.

Best,
Victor