[GRASS-user] Statement Martin Landa

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 12:27:35 PST 2021

Dear GRASS community,

first of all I would like to thank Vero for nominating me for the next PSC term!

My GRASS story started around 2002 when I was studying at the
university. Later in the year 2005 when I started studying for my PhD
I used GRASS in my GIS and remote sensing lessons. It was fun, I
taught students how to zoom and pan in a map window by GRASS command
line tools like d.pan and d.zoom. It was an adventure:-)

In 2007 and 2008 I had a chance to work together with Markus Neteler
in Fondazione Bruno Kessler (thanks Markus for introducing me to the
GRASS community, it was a great time in Trento!). I started developing
a new generation of GRASS GUI which is called wxGUI. I became a core
wxGUI developer for several years. When I returned to my university in
Prague I continued in my GRASS mission. Plenty of students of mine
contributed to GRASS development under my supervision. Let me name
some of them - Anna Petrasova, Vaclav Petras, Stepan Turek, Matej
Krejci, Tereza Fiedlerova, Ondrej Pesek, Linda Kladivova and others. I
hope it was fun for them, at least the same as for me.

I also helped to migrate GRASS source code from CVS to Subversion in
2008 and recently to Git (GitHub). I became a core GRASS depeloper, I
contributed eg. to the vector library by adding support for PostGIS
Topology. I am also maintaining UbuntuGIS PPA and WinGRASS packages. I
was also several times involved in Google Summer of Code, I started as
a student (oh, it's so long time ago:-) and later became a mentor or
co-mentor.

It was always fun to meet my GRASS friends on code/community sprints,
oh, so nice social events! Such nice memories make me happier in these
days of social distance.

Unfortunately last year I didn't have so much time for contributing to
GRASS. It doesn't mean that I forgot about you - a great GRASS
community. GRASS still stays in my heart. There are nowadays many much
more active people than me who were nominated to PSC. It's a good sign
of a stable and mature GRASS community!

Martin

--
Martin Landa